Em formação

THOMAS FENWICK DRAYTON, CSA - História


GENERAL THOMAS FENWICK DRAYTON, CSA
ESTATÍSTICAS VITAIS
NASCIDO: 1808 em Charleston, SC.
FALECEU: 1891 em Florença, SC.
CAMPANHAS: Port Royal, Segunda Corrida de Touros, South Mountain e Antietam.
MAIOR RANK ALCANÇADO: General de brigada.
BIOGRAFIA
Thomas Fenwick Drayton nasceu em 24 de agosto de 1808, em Charleston, Carolina do Sul. Ele se formou em West Point em 1828, onde formou uma amizade para toda a vida com Jefferson Finis Davis. Em 1836, Drayton renunciou ao exército, administrando sua plantação e trabalhando como diretor de ferrovias e legislador estadual. Quando a Guerra Civil começou, ele foi nomeado general de brigada (25 de setembro de 1861). Colocado no comando do distrito militar de Port Royal, na Carolina do Sul, ele não conseguiu defender o posto contra um ataque naval da União. O irmão de Drayton, Comdr. Percival Drayton, foi o comandante do principal navio de guerra da União, o "Pocahontas", no ataque. Thomas Drayton liderou sua brigada nas Batalhas de Bull Run (Segunda), South Mountain e Antietam. Em South Mountain e Antietam, ele se mostrou um pobre comandante de campo. O General Lee designou Drayton para outras brigadas, embora a decisão tenha sido difícil e embaraçosa para ele. Drayton passou os últimos dois anos da guerra no Departamento Trans-Mississippi, liderando uma brigada no Distrito de Arkansas e mais tarde comandando o Subdistrito do Texas. Ele passou a servir como presidente do tribunal de inquérito que investigou o ataque do major-general Sterling Price ao Missouri. Após o fim da Guerra Civil, Drayton se tornou um fazendeiro na Geórgia. Ele então se mudou para a Carolina do Norte, onde trabalhou como corretor de seguros de vida. Drayton morreu em Florence, Carolina do Sul, em 18 de fevereiro de 1891.

THOMAS FENWICK DRAYTON, CSA - História

O Capitão Percival Drayton (1812-1865) de Charleston, Carolina do Sul e Filadélfia, Pensilvânia, foi um distinto oficial da Marinha dos EUA que serviu na Marinha da União durante a Guerra Civil. Os papéis da família Percival Drayton, 1827-1967, documentam principalmente a carreira naval de Percival Drayton, particularmente durante a Guerra Civil. Os papéis de Drayton, 1827-1865, incluem correspondência, ordens e relatórios navais, um diário, papéis financeiros e certificados. O restante, 1845-1967, consiste em documentos criados ou recebidos por outros membros da família Drayton e parentes, bem como efêmeras, fotografias e material impresso, em sua maioria pertencentes a Percival Drayton. Também estão incluídas cartas escritas por um parente não identificado, um caderno naval e, posteriormente, correspondência familiar sobre o serviço naval de Drayton, bem como dois livros de manifestos para embarques de tabaco na área de Maryland-Distrito de Columbia, 1803-1817, sua conexão com o Família Drayton sendo confusa.


Habitantes mais antigos

Quando William Hilton desembarcou em Lowcountry em 1663, ele foi saudado por índios de língua espanhola da tribo Yemassee, que haviam migrado para o norte da Flórida 100 anos antes. Ele também encontrou os índios Escamacus, mas pouco se sabe sobre a civilização nativa anterior que habitava a Ilha há 4.000 anos. Restos de misteriosos anéis de conchas, medindo até 240 pés de largura e 2,7 metros de altura, ainda podem ser encontrados na Ilha. No entanto, como as rochas enigmáticas de Stonehenge e as esculturas da Ilha de Páscoa, seus segredos permanecem ocultos. Hoje, você pode ver esses artefatos da história da Ilha de Hilton Head em Sea Pines Forest Preserve e no extremo norte da ilha, próximo à Squire Pope Road, em Green Shell Park.


Plantação de Fish Haul Creek (Drayton)

Terra - 1100 acres, 700 eram a plantação original de Fish Haul Creek, 400 eram Pine Barrens.

Mapas - Hack, Hilton Head Island, Carolina do Sul, antes de 1861

Holmgren, Hilton Head, A Sea Island Chronicle
Holmgren, Pesquisa em Hilton Head Island
Peeples, Um índice para nomes de Hilton Head Island
Peeples, Contos de famílias de Ante Bellum Hilton Head Island
Porcher, A história de Sea Island Cotton

Informações adicionais:

Beach City Road
Veja também Coggins Point Plantation, Fort Howell, Fort Walker

As terras de plantação adquiridas em conjunto por Samuel Green e Edmund Ellis depois de 1740 se estendiam de Fish Haul Creek para o oeste ao longo de Port Royal Sound. Em 1785, Sarah Green Tucker, viúva de Thomas Tucker e filha de Samuel Green, casou-se com o capitão William Pope e fez de Fish Haul sua residência principal. Emma Catherine Pope se casou com o general Thomas Fenwick Drayton em 1832. O general Drayton usou Fish Haul como seu quartel-general para as defesas confederadas da Ilha Hilton Head até 1861. Ruínas de Tabby e um cemitério de plantação são tudo o que resta. (198?)

". o plantador de ilhas Samuel Green, em seu testamento anterior de 24 de fevereiro de 1767, deixou sua Fish Haul Plantation, onde morava, para seu filho Samuel. Eventualmente, Sarah Green. tornou-se a única herdeira de tudo isso e se casou com William Pope, Sr."

"William Drayton e sua esposa Mary eram proprietários de 1100 acres, 700 dos quais eram a Fish Haul Creek Plantation original (frequentemente chamada de Fish Hall) provavelmente comprada dos herdeiros de Samuel Green por volta de 1770. (veja a entrada acima). Parte desta propriedade foi vendida pelo governo federal aos negros e parte mantida para uma reserva militar. O restante foi resgatado em março de 1875 por $ 407,83 em impostos pelos herdeiros de Mary (Drayton) Pope, que evidentemente se casou novamente. e eles ofereceram terras para um novo cemitério e para uma igreja também se os parentes mais próximos removessem os corpos enterrados perto de suas casas. Em 1877, os herdeiros começaram a vender em pequenos lotes e em 1931 Thorne e Loomis compraram terras Fish Haul em treze transações diferentes. "

O trabalho da Fundação Chicora de 1989 no Fish Haul Slave Row foi a primeira documentação arqueológica publicada de um assentamento de escravos na Ilha Hilton Head. Três unidades de cinco pés e algumas chaminés tabby em pé foram observadas.

Trinkley, Chicora Research Series 28, Archaeological Testing at the Stoney / Baynard Plantation, Hilton Head Island, Beaufort County, South Carolina, p. 16 (material de origem observado na pesquisa)

A porção 38BU806 da fileira de escravos da Drayton's Fish Haul Plantation (38BU805 em 1986 em Chicora e em 1989 em Brockington), considerada um dos sítios arqueológicos mais significativos em Hilton Head. Elevado grau de integridade do sítio e vestígios arqueológicos em excelente estado de conservação. Recomendado como elegível para o Registro Nacional de Locais Históricos. Barker Field tem cerca de dez acres de propriedade e operação, administrada pelo Departamento de Recreação do Condado de Beaufort.

  • Trinkley, Chicora Research Series 17, Archaeological Survey of the Barker Field Expansion Project, Hilton Head Island, Beaufort County, Carolina do Sul (Material de origem listado na pesquisa)

O coronel John Barnwell recebeu um Royal Grant por 500 acres em 10 de dezembro de 1717. Ele o nomeou Fish Haul. Seu filho, John, e sua esposa, Martha, venderam-no para Edward Ellis em 24 de outubro de 1760. Em 1838, Thomas F. Drayton casou-se com Mary Baynard Pope e eles residiam com sua mãe, Mary Baynard Pope, em Fish Haul. (o pai era John Edward Pope) Quando Mary morreu em 1856, Thomas foi nomeado administrador de sua propriedade e administrou Fish Haul em custódia para sete filhos menores de Drayton.

O censo de escravos de 1860 mostra 52 escravos em Fish Haul. O censo agrícola de 1860 mostra 250 acres melhorados, 450 não melhorados, avaliados em $ 10.000. A ausência de animais de fazenda na lista indica uma plantação de algodão fortemente orientada. Grãos e alimentos eram cultivados para uso local.

Nas vendas de impostos de 1863, a propriedade foi vendida ao governo federal por $ 3.000. A listagem de 1300 acres sugere a combinação de Fish Haul e a adjacente Pinelands Plantation. Drayton é registrado como fornecendo "senzalas substanciais em boas condições" e a casa principal como "senhorial". Fotografias de 1862 corroboram essas declarações.

Em 1862, cerca de 200 acres foram usados ​​para criar a vila dos libertos de Mitchelville.

Fish Haul foi alugado para Bacchus Singleton, em fideicomisso para si mesmo e para aqueles que viviam na terra que pagaram sua parte do aluguel de $ 220 em 1862. O aluguel estava sujeito à ocupação militar e metade da mansão era reservada para uma escola. Certas restrições aplicadas, como apenas metade da terra arável poderia ser cultivada em um determinado ano - a outra metade sendo pousada. O governo podia penhorar a safra garantindo o pagamento do aluguel, nenhum morador da propriedade poderia ser forçado a faltar, todo o trabalho era dividido igualmente e ninguém poderia morar na mansão.

Em 1867, a plantação abrigava 120 negros. O aluguel era de $ 90.

Em 1868, o terreno foi alugado para Summer Christopher. Em 1871, o aluguel era de $ 140 e não era mais "custodiado". Depois de 1871, o terreno não foi mais alugado.

Em 17 de abril de 1875, os herdeiros de Mary Baynard Pope pagaram US $ 407,83 por cerca de 1.300 acres, incluindo a área de Pineland e a vila de Mitchelville. Aproximadamente 803 acres em Hilton Head Point sul e leste de Fish Haul Creek foram retidos pelo governo federal para uma reserva militar. (Ponto Coggins). Desejando vender a propriedade, os Draytons (herdeiros de Mary Baynard Pope) se ofereceram para doar alguns lotes para 'fins de igreja'. Eles autorizaram seus advogados a estabelecer um cemitério em Fish Haul e a dar lotes para aqueles que retirassem seus mortos do cemitério próximo à casa da mansão. Parece que não deu certo.

Em 9 de dezembro de 1876, 147,5 acres foram vendidos para Robert McIntire que por sua vez os vendeu para Gabriel Gardner em 20 de fevereiro de 1878. Em 20 de agosto de 1888 Gardner vendeu 650 acres (incluindo a Plantação Gardner) para Summer Christopher, et. al .. Os herdeiros de Christopher venderam a parcela de dez acres contendo o Fish Haul Slave Row para Fred Owens Jr. em 1894.

Em 1920, a casa principal havia desaparecido. Ele manteve a propriedade até que foi vendida em 1965 para a Hilton Head Company. De lá, seguiu para o Port Royal Plantation Group e depois para as Dunas de Palmetto.

Em 1978, o Hilton Head Gators adquiriu 7,4 acres de Palmetto Dunes. Em 1980, a Comissão de Recreação do condado de Beaufort assumiu a propriedade.

Em 1989, o site contém pelo menos seis estruturas. Acima do solo, cada edifício é marcado por uma base de chaminé tabby. O tabby usado é uma mistura distinta contendo concha de molusco inteira, além do agregado de concha de ostra normal. Tijolo, vidro e cerâmica quebrados também são vistos no gato malhado. A mistura proporciona um material bem compactado, denso e forte.

"A área do projeto está situada em uma parte do que é tradicionalmente conhecido como Fish Haul Plantation. Uma típica plantação de produção de algodão no período anterior à guerra, Fish Haul e toda Hilton Head foram vítimas da guerra. As forças sindicais assumiram o controle da ilha em 1861, usou a casa principal do Fish Haul como residência para o general comandante, acampou tropas, construiu serrarias e desmatou a propriedade e, na área do projeto, construiu uma vila de libertos (Mitchelville) e um forte de terraplenagem (Fort Howell).

. em 1717, John Barnwell recebeu uma bolsa no canto noroeste da ilha. Trinkley cita várias fontes. que a concessão era de 500 acres e foi descrita como Fish Haul em uma venda de 1760 para Edward Ellis. Tanto Holmgren quanto Peeples contribuíram com a propriedade colonial do Fish Haul para Samuel Green e daí para sua filha Sarah Green Tucker. William Pope era viúvo de Sarah Green Tucker Pope em 1798. O general confederado Thomas Drayton administrava o Fish Haul em nome de seus filhos, os herdeiros de Mary B. Pope, quando a Guerra Civil começou.


Drayton, Percival

Com a eclosão da Guerra Civil, Drayton ocupou o posto de comandante. Dos 1.500 oficiais da marinha, um quarto partiu para servir ao sul. Mas Drayton não o fez e escolheu a causa da União.

Oficial da marinha. Drayton nasceu em 25 de agosto de 1812, em Charleston, filho de William Drayton (1776 e 1846) e Ann Gadsden. Seu pai serviu no Congresso de 1825 a 1833 e foi um dos principais oponentes da anulação no início da década de 1830, e ele acabou se mudando com sua família de Charleston para a Filadélfia. O irmão mais velho de Drayton, Thomas Fenwick Drayton, formou-se na Academia Militar dos EUA. Após o serviço militar, Thomas voltou para a Carolina do Sul e se tornou um bem-sucedido fazendeiro e senador estadual.

Aos quinze anos, Percival Drayton foi nomeado aspirante da Marinha dos Estados Unidos. Ele entrou no serviço vinte anos antes da fundação da academia naval de Annapolis, e seu treinamento naval seguiu o antigo padrão herdado da Inglaterra. Os futuros oficiais da Marinha começaram sua vida profissional não em escolas formais, mas aprendendo o mar como aspirantes a marinheiro. Ele serviu a bordo de fragatas empenhadas em proteger o comércio dos EUA no exterior ou mostrar a bandeira em estações distantes. Suas atribuições o levaram aos esquadrões do Brasil, Mediterrâneo e Pacífico. Eventualmente, ele comandou a escuna USS Empreendimento e servido em uma variedade de navios, incluindo o Mississippi, o terceiro navio de guerra movido a vapor da marinha e rsquos.

Com a eclosão da Guerra Civil, Drayton ocupou o posto de comandante. Dos 1.500 oficiais da marinha, um quarto partiu para servir ao sul. Mas Drayton não o fez e escolheu a causa da União. Em novembro de 1861, ele comandou um navio na expedição de Port Royal, na qual as forças da União capturaram a Ilha Hilton Head, Beaufort e a Ilha Parris para ganhar uma base de operações contra Savannah e Charleston. Na batalha, seu irmão Thomas, um general-brigadeiro confederado, comandou os fortes cujos canhões trocaram tiros com o navio Drayton e rsquos.

O desempenho de Drayton e rsquos fez com que ele fosse promovido a capitão e comando de um dos novos modelos projetados pela Ericsson Monitor-class ironclads, o USS Passaic. Em abril de 1863, Drayton participou da tentativa de usar nove ironclads & ndasha primeira vez que os navios blindados foram empregados em qualquer coisa que se aproximasse de uma ação da frota & ndashpara abrir caminho para o porto de Charleston. O ataque não teve sucesso, mas Drayton logo foi nomeado capitão da bandeira do contra-almirante David Farragut. Ele comandou a nau capitânia Farragut & rsquos, USS Hartford, na Batalha de Mobile Bay em agosto de 1864. Foi para Drayton que Farragut gritou a famosa ordem associada àquela ação: & ldquoDroga aos torpedos! A todo vapor! & Rdquo

Após a batalha, Drayton acompanhou Farragut a uma recepção triunfal em Nova York. Na Carolina do Sul, porém, ele era visto de maneira bem diferente. A Assembleia Geral aprovou medidas condenando-o formalmente ao banimento legal e ao exílio. Ele não deveria retornar em nenhum caso. Quatro meses após o fim da guerra, enquanto servia em Washington como chefe do Bureau de Navegação, Drayton morreu em 4 de agosto de 1865, após uma breve doença. Ele nunca se casou.

Ammen, Daniel. A Marinha na Guerra Civil. Vol. 2, A Costa Atlântica. 1883. Reprint, Harrisburg, Pa .: Archive Society, 1992.

Canney, Donald L. Lincoln & rsquos Navy: The Ships, Men and Organization, 1861 e ndash65. Annapolis, Md .: Naval Institute Press, 1998.

Halsey, Ashley, Jr. & ldquoI Rue o dia em que entrei no negócio do Ironclad. & Rdquo Ilustrado dos tempos da guerra civil 4 (abril de 1965): 28 & ndash34.

Mahan, A. T. A Marinha na Guerra Civil. Vol. 3, O Golfo e as águas interiores. 1883. Reprint, Harrisburg, Pa .: Archive Society, 1992.


Descendentes de Thomas Drayton

1. Thomas Drayton, Hon (Thomas Drayton, Magnolia Plantation1) nasceu em 1700 em Magnolia Plantation e morreu em 11 de novembro de 1760.

Ele se casou com Elizabeth Bull em 26 de dezembro de 1730 em & # 8221 South Carolina Marriages & # 8221, filha de William Bull, I, LT Gov. SC e Mary Quintyne. Ela nasceu em 9 de março de 1711/12 no dau mais antigo e morreu AFT. 28 de agosto de 1745 em & # 8220Bio Hist SC Hse Rep & # 8221 Vol 2, 202. Ele se casou com Mary Mackenzie, Exmo. Lady BEF. 1735, filha de George (3º Earl Cromartie) Mackenzie. Ela nasceu em Lady Mary of Henry & # 8217s will- seu pai baniu o conde escocês e morreu em 21 de novembro de 1788 no mar.

Filhos de Thomas Drayton, Hon e Elizabeth Bull são:
+ 2 i. William Drayton, Chief Justice nasceu em 21 de março de 1731/32 em & # 8220Magnolia & # 8221, Ashley River, SC- filho mais velho sobrevivente-2º filho, e morreu em 18 de maio de 1790 em SC- foi East FL 1763 & gt Chf. Justice1767 & gtInglaterra & gtSC.
+ 3 ii. Mary Drayton nasceu em 21 de dezembro de 1734 em & # 8220Plantations of the Low Country & # 8221p33 e morreu em 1806 em grandau de LT Gov Bull & # 8220Oligarchs & # 8221 p37, 320.
+ 4 iii. Stephen Drayton, LT Col nasceu em 28 de abril de 1736 em St. Andrew Par., SC & gt St. Luke Parish, e morreu em 23 de novembro de 1810 em & # 8220Bio Hist SC Hse Rep & # 8221 Vol 2, 202, consulte & # 8220Oligarchs & # 8221p319 .
5 iv. Henrietta Charlotte Drayton nasceu em 28 de julho de 1743.
6 v. John Drayton nasceu em 28 de agosto de 1745.
Registro de Descendente, Geração No. 2
2. William Drayton, Chefe de Justiça (Thomas Drayton, Hon2, Thomas Drayton, Magnolia Plantation1) nasceu em 21 de março de 1731/32 em & # 8220Magnolia & # 8221, Ashley River, SC - filho mais velho sobrevivente - 2º filho, e morreu em 18 de maio de 1790 em SC- foi East FL 1763 & gt Chf. Justice1767 & gtInglaterra & gtSC. Casou-se com Mary Motte em 4 de outubro de 1759 em & # 8221 South Carolina Marriages & # 8221 & # 8230 9 filhos, filha de Jacob Motte, tesoureiro e Elizabeth Martin. Ela nasceu em 8 de janeiro de 1739/40 e morreu ABT. 1778 na Inglaterra. Ele se casou com Mary Gates ABT. 1780 na 2ª esposa, 1 filho.

Filhos de William Drayton, Chief Justice e Mary Motte são:
7 i. Elizabeth Drayton nasceu em 1761.
8 ii. Jacob Drayton, LT Cont. Exército nasceu ABT. 1762.
9 iii. Hannah Drayton nasceu em 1764.
10 iv. Mary Charlotte Drayton nasceu em 1766.
11 v. Thomas Drayton nasceu em 1775 e morreu em 1794.
+ 12 vi. William Drayton, Col War 1812 nasceu em 20 de dezembro de 1776 em St. Autustine, East Florida & gtCharleston & gtPA 1833-mais jovem, e morreu em 24 de maio de 1846 em Philidelphia, PA - & # 8220Am. Cyclp. of Bio & # 8221.
3. Mary Drayton (Thomas Drayton, Hon2, Thomas Drayton, Magnolia Plantation1) nasceu em 21 de dezembro de 1734 em & # 8220Plantations of the Low Country & # 8221p33, e morreu em 1806 em grandau de LT Gov Bull & # 8220Oligarchs & # 8221 p37, 320. Ela se casou com Edward Fenwick, Hon., Esq. ABT. 1 de março de 1753 em Charleston, SC- & # 8220Gazette & # 8221, filho de John Fenwick, Fenwick Hall e Elizabeth Gibbes. Ele nasceu em 22 de janeiro de 1719/20 em Membro do Conselho de Sua Majestade & # 8217s e morreu em 5 de julho de 1775 em & # 8220Oligarchs & # 8221 p242 & # 8211 de Fenwick Hall.

Filhos de Mary Drayton e Edward Fenwick, Hon., Esq. estão:
13 i. Edward Fenwick, Jr., Tory nasceu em 12 de dezembro de 1753 e vendeu o Fenwick Hall ao primo John Gibbs. Casou-se com Christina Stuart em NY- foi deserdado por este casamento, filha de John Stuart, monarquista.
14 ii. Sarah Fenwick nasceu em 3 de dezembro de 1756. Ela se casou com George Jones, Dr .. Ele nasceu em Savannah, GA. Ela se casou com McCartan Campbell em 27 de fevereiro de 1777. Ele nasceu em Augusta, GA.
15 iii. Thomas Fenwick, Traidor, nasceu em 19 de dezembro de 1758.
16 iv. Mary Fenwick nasceu ABT. 1759. Ela se casou com Walter Izard em 7 de novembro de 1779 em St. Phillip & # 8217s, Charleston, SC, filho de Ralph Izard, Capt e Rebecca Blake. Ele morreu em 1788.
+ 17 v. Martha Fenwick nasceu em 15 de janeiro de 1760.
18 vi. Harriette Fenwick nasceu em 5 de março de 1769. Ela se casou com Josiah Tatnall, governador de GA.
4. Stephen Drayton, LT Col (Thomas Drayton, Hon2, Thomas Drayton, Magnolia Plantation1) nasceu em 28 de abril de 1736 em St. Andrew Par., SC & gt St. Luke Parish, e morreu em 23 de novembro de 1810 em & # 8220Bio Hist SC Hse Rep & # 8221 Vol 2, 202, consulte & # 8220Oligarchs & # 8221p319. Ele se casou com Ann Betts sem registro de filhos. Ela morreu em 1766. Ele se casou com Elizabeth Waring em & # 8220Bio Hist SC Hse Rep & # 8221 Vol 2, 203, filha de Josiah Waring. Ela nasceu ABT. 1740 na 2ª esposa.

Filhos de Stephen Drayton, LT Col e Elizabeth Waring são:
19 i. Edward Percival Drayton.
20 ii. Henry Augustus Drayton.
Registro de Descendente, Geração No. 3
12. William Drayton, Col War 1812 (William Drayton, Chief Justice3, Thomas Drayton, Hon2, Thomas Drayton, Magnolia Plantation1) nasceu em 20 de dezembro de 1776 em St. Autustine, East Florida & gtCharleston & gtPA 1833-mais jovem, e morreu em 24 de maio de 1846 em Philidelphia, PA - & # 8220Am. Cyclp. of Bio & # 8221. Ele se casou com Maria Miles Heyward em 5 filhos- & # 8220Am. Cyclp. de Bio & # 8221, filha de William Heyward, esq. e Hannah Shubrick. Ela nasceu em 20 de outubro de 1784 em & # 8220South Carolina Genealogies & # 8221 Vol 2, 359. Ele se casou com Ann Gadsden em 4 filhos, filha de Thomas Gadsden, capitão e Martha Fenwick. Ela nasceu AFT. 1778.

Filhos de William Drayton, Col War 1812 e Ann Gadsden são:
21 i. Thomas Fenwick Drayton, general CSA nasceu em 24 de agosto de 1808 em Charleston, SC e colega de classe de West Point Jeff Davis, e morreu em 18 de fevereiro de 1891 em Florença, SC - após a guerra: plantador falido GA, Soth. Life Ins ..
22 ii. Percival Drayton, da Marinha dos EUA nasceu em 25 de agosto de 1812 na Carolina do Sul & gtNavy & gtFiladélfia & gt Guerra Civil e morreu em 4 de agosto de 1865 em Wash. D.C.- lutou contra o irmão, Gen TF Drayton em Port Royal. Ele se casou com nunca se casou.
17. Martha Fenwick (Mary Drayton3, Thomas Drayton, Hon2, Thomas Drayton, Magnolia Plantation1) nasceu em 15 de janeiro de 1760. Ela se casou com Thomas Gadsden, Capitão 15 de outubro de 1778 em Charles Town, SC & # 8211 & # 8220Gazette & # 8221, filho de Thomas Gadsden.

Filho de Martha Fenwick e Thomas Gadsden, capitão é:
+ 23 i. Ann Gadsden nasceu AFT. 1778.
Registro de Descendente, Geração No. 4
23. Ann Gadsden (Martha Fenwick4, Mary Drayton3, Thomas Drayton, Hon2, Thomas Drayton, Magnolia Plantation1) nasceu AFT. 1778. Ela se casou com William Drayton, Col War 1812 em 4 filhos, filho de William Drayton, Chief Justice e Mary Motte. Ele nasceu em 20 de dezembro de 1776 em St. Autustine, East Florida & gtCharleston & gtPA 1833-mais jovem, e morreu em 24 de maio de 1846 em Philidelphia, PA - & # 8220Am. Cyclp. of Bio & # 8221.


Fish Haul Creek Plantation

Terra - 1100 acres, 700 eram a plantação original de Fish Haul Creek, 400 eram Pine Barrens.

Mapas - Hack, Hilton Head Island, Carolina do Sul, antes de 1861

Holmgren, Hilton Head, A Sea Island Chronicle
Holmgren, Pesquisa em Hilton Head Island
Peeples, Um índice para nomes de Hilton Head Island
Peeples, Contos de famílias de Ante Bellum Hilton Head Island
Porcher, A história de Sea Island Cotton

Informações adicionais:

Beach City Road
Veja também Coggins Point Plantation, Fort Howell, Fort Walker

As terras de plantação adquiridas em conjunto por Samuel Green e Edmund Ellis após 1740 se estendiam de Fish Haul Creek para o oeste ao longo de Port Royal Sound. Em 1785, Sarah Green Tucker, viúva de Thomas Tucker e filha de Samuel Green, casou-se com o capitão William Pope e fez de Fish Haul sua residência principal. Emma Catherine Pope se casou com o general Thomas Fenwick Drayton em 1832. O general Drayton usou Fish Haul como seu quartel-general para as defesas confederadas da Ilha Hilton Head até 1861. Ruínas de Tabby e um cemitério de plantação são tudo o que resta. (198?)

". o plantador de ilhas Samuel Green, em seu testamento anterior de 24 de fevereiro de 1767, deixou sua Fish Haul Plantation, onde vivia, para seu filho Samuel. Eventualmente Sarah Green. tornou-se a única herdeira de tudo isso e se casou com William Pope, Sr."

"William Drayton e sua esposa Mary eram proprietários de 1100 acres, 700 dos quais eram a Fish Haul Creek Plantation original (frequentemente chamada de Fish Hall) provavelmente comprada dos herdeiros de Samuel Green por volta de 1770. (veja a entrada acima). Parte desta propriedade foi vendida pelo governo federal aos negros e parte mantida para uma reserva militar. O restante foi resgatado em março de 1875 por $ 407,83 em impostos pelos herdeiros de Mary (Drayton) Pope, que evidentemente se casou novamente. e eles ofereceram terras para um novo cemitério e para uma igreja também se os parentes mais próximos removessem os corpos enterrados perto de suas casas. Em 1877, os herdeiros começaram a vender em pequenos lotes e em 1931 Thorne e Loomis compraram terras Fish Haul em treze transações diferentes. "

O trabalho da Fundação Chicora de 1989 no Fish Haul Slave Row foi a primeira documentação arqueológica publicada de um assentamento de escravos na Ilha Hilton Head. Três unidades de cinco pés e algumas chaminés tabby em pé foram observadas.

Trinkley, Chicora Research Series 28, Archaeological Testing at the Stoney / Baynard Plantation, Hilton Head Island, Beaufort County, South Carolina, p. 16 (material de origem observado na pesquisa)

A porção 38BU806 da fileira de escravos da Drayton's Fish Haul Plantation (38BU805 em 1986 em Chicora e em 1989 em Brockington), considerada um dos sítios arqueológicos mais significativos em Hilton Head. Elevado grau de integridade do sítio e vestígios arqueológicos em excelente estado de conservação. Recomendado como elegível para o Registro Nacional de Locais Históricos. Barker Field tem cerca de dez acres de propriedade e operação, administrada pelo Departamento de Recreação do Condado de Beaufort.

  • Trinkley, Chicora Research Series 17, Archaeological Survey of the Barker Field Expansion Project, Hilton Head Island, Beaufort County, Carolina do Sul (Material de origem listado na pesquisa)

O coronel John Barnwell recebeu um Royal Grant por 500 acres em 10 de dezembro de 1717. Ele o nomeou Fish Haul. Seu filho, John, e sua esposa, Martha, venderam-no para Edward Ellis em 24 de outubro de 1760. Em 1838, Thomas F. Drayton casou-se com Mary Baynard Pope e eles residiam com sua mãe, Mary Baynard Pope, em Fish Haul. (o pai era John Edward Pope) Quando Mary morreu em 1856, Thomas foi nomeado administrador de sua propriedade e administrou Fish Haul em custódia para sete filhos menores de Drayton.

O censo de escravos de 1860 mostra 52 escravos em Fish Haul. O censo agrícola de 1860 mostra 250 acres melhorados, 450 não melhorados, avaliados em $ 10.000. A ausência de animais de fazenda na lista indica uma plantação de algodão fortemente orientada. Grãos e alimentos eram cultivados para uso local.

Nas vendas de impostos de 1863, a propriedade foi vendida ao governo federal por $ 3.000. A listagem de 1300 acres sugere a combinação de Fish Haul e a adjacente Pinelands Plantation. Drayton é registrado como fornecendo "senzalas substanciais em boas condições" e a casa principal como "senhorial". Fotografias de 1862 confirmam essas declarações.

Em 1862, cerca de 200 acres foram usados ​​para criar a vila dos libertos de Mitchelville.

Fish Haul foi alugado para Bacchus Singleton, em fideicomisso para si mesmo e para aqueles que viviam na terra que pagaram sua parte do aluguel de $ 220 em 1862. O aluguel estava sujeito à ocupação militar e metade da mansão era reservada para uma escola. Certas restrições aplicadas, como apenas metade da terra arável poderia ser cultivada em um determinado ano - a outra metade sendo pousada. O governo podia penhorar a safra garantindo o pagamento do aluguel, nenhum morador da propriedade poderia ser forçado a faltar, todo o trabalho era dividido igualmente e ninguém poderia morar na mansão.

Em 1867, a plantação abrigava 120 negros. O aluguel era de $ 90.

Em 1868, o terreno foi alugado para Summer Christopher. Em 1871, o aluguel era de US $ 140 e não era mais "custodiado". Depois de 1871, o terreno não foi mais alugado.

Em 17 de abril de 1875, os herdeiros de Mary Baynard Pope pagaram US $ 407,83 por cerca de 1.300 acres, incluindo a área de Pineland e a vila de Mitchelville. Aproximadamente 803 acres em Hilton Head Point sul e leste de Fish Haul Creek foram retidos pelo governo federal para uma reserva militar. (Ponto Coggins). Desejando vender a propriedade, os Draytons (herdeiros de Mary Baynard Pope) se ofereceram para doar alguns lotes para 'fins de igreja'. Eles autorizaram seus advogados a estabelecer um cemitério em Fish Haul e a dar lotes para aqueles que retirassem seus mortos do cemitério próximo à casa da mansão. Parece que não deu certo.

Em 9 de dezembro de 1876, 147,5 acres foram vendidos para Robert McIntire que por sua vez os vendeu para Gabriel Gardner em 20 de fevereiro de 1878. Em 20 de agosto de 1888 Gardner vendeu 650 acres (incluindo a Plantação Gardner) para Summer Christopher, et. al .. Os herdeiros de Christopher venderam a parcela de dez acres contendo o Fish Haul Slave Row para Fred Owens Jr. em 1894.

Em 1920, a casa principal havia desaparecido. Ele manteve a propriedade até que foi vendida em 1965 para a Hilton Head Company. De lá, seguiu para o Port Royal Plantation Group e depois para as Dunas de Palmetto.

Em 1978, o Hilton Head Gators adquiriu 7,4 acres de Palmetto Dunes. Em 1980, a Comissão de Recreação do condado de Beaufort assumiu a propriedade.

Em 1989, o site contém pelo menos seis estruturas. Acima do solo, cada edifício é marcado por uma base de chaminé tabby. O tabby usado é uma mistura distinta contendo concha de molusco inteira, além do agregado de concha de ostra normal. Tijolo, vidro e cerâmica quebrados também são vistos no gato malhado. A mistura proporciona um material bem compactado, denso e forte.

"A área do projeto está situada em uma parte do que é tradicionalmente conhecido como Fish Haul Plantation. Uma típica plantação de produção de algodão no período anterior à guerra, Fish Haul e toda Hilton Head foram vítimas da guerra. As forças sindicais assumiram o controle da ilha em 1861, usou a casa principal do Fish Haul como residência para o general comandante, acampou tropas, construiu serrarias e desmatou a propriedade e, na área do projeto, construiu uma vila de libertos (Mitchelville) e um forte de terraplenagem (Fort Howell).

. em 1717, John Barnwell recebeu uma bolsa no canto noroeste da ilha. Trinkley cita várias fontes. que a concessão era de 500 acres e foi descrita como Fish Haul em uma venda de 1760 para Edward Ellis. Tanto Holmgren quanto Peeples contribuíram com a propriedade colonial do Fish Haul para Samuel Green e daí para sua filha Sarah Green Tucker. William Pope era viúvo de Sarah Green Tucker Pope em 1798. O general confederado Thomas Drayton administrava o Fish Haul em nome de seus filhos, os herdeiros de Mary B. Pope, quando a Guerra Civil começou.


Crista, brasão e história do nome da família de Drayton

Podemos fazer uma pesquisa genealógica. Descubra a história exata da sua família!

Alberic “Sanglier” de Vere

Significado, origem e etimologia do sobrenome
Este sobrenome anglo-saxão é local / habitacional que significa "de Drayon", de cerca de dezesseis diferentes paróquias e dioceses com este nome em toda a Inglaterra (ex. Crockford, Bath, Wells, Norwich, Oxford, Peterborough, Lichfield, Southwell, Londres e Ely). O nome deriva da palavra do inglês antigo Draeg ou inclinar-se, significando arrasto, rampa de lançamento, portagem ou trenó (uma área onde barcos / navios foram puxados por terra ou arrastados em solo úmido) ou a palavra dragan, que significa desenhar ou arrastar, e a palavra tun, significando assentamento, recinto ou fazenda. Outra fonte afirma que se refere a uma fazenda ao longo da qual mercadorias e produtos pesados ​​eram arrastados. Um dos primeiros locais com esse nome foi Dreyton, em Devon. A família tornou-se proeminente em Norfolk, Inglaterra, antes da invasão normanda de 1066 DC. A família se tornou uma família política proeminente na Carolina do Sul e possuía uma plantação de 464 acres conhecida como Magnolia Plantation and Gardens.

Variações ortográficas
Variantes ortográficas comuns ou nomes com etimologias semelhantes incluem Draytone, Draghton, Dreyton, Dradon, Draydon e Draton.

Popularidade e distribuição geográfica
O último nome classifica Drayton em 4,670 th em popularidade em termos de United Status no Censo de 2000. O nome tem uma classificação particularmente alta nos seguintes sete estados: Carolina do Sul, Geórgia, Nova Jersey e Arizona. O sobrenome também é comum na Inglaterra, onde ocupa 4.258 o. Tem a classificação mais elevada nos seguintes condados: Lincolnshire, Shropshire e Somerset. O nome é comum em todo o mundo de língua inglesa: Escócia (38.841º), País de Gales (9.097º), Irlanda (31.207º), Canadá (16.224º), Nova Zelândia (3.074º), Austrália (2.855º) e África do Sul (20.379 th).

Castelo de Hedingham

Portadores Antigos do Sobrenome
The Hundred Rolls de 1273 DC, um censo do País de Gales e da Inglaterra, conhecido em latim como Rotuli Hundredorum lista dois portadores desse sobrenome: Matila de Drayton no condado de Cambridgeshire e Beatrix de Draytone no condado de Huntingdonshire. A Testa de Neville lista um Simon de Drayton no condado de Warwick que viveu durante o reinado do rei Henrique III (1216-1272) e do rei Eduardo I (1272-1307) da Inglaterra. A História de Norfolk registra um Richard de Drayton foi oficial de justiça de Yamouth em 1284 DC. The Poll Tax of Yorkshire in 1379 AD lists three bearers of this last name: Johannes de Drayton, Willelmus de Draghton, and Robertus de Draghton. An early marriage involving this surname was William Drayton to Margaret Topley at St. James Clerkenwell in London in 1576 AD.

History, Genealogy, and Ancestry
The earliest known ancestor from which the Drayton family descends was Alphonsus de Vere, also known as Comte de Guines, who was born between 965 and 1025 AD. He had a son named Alberic. His son Sheriff Alberic “Sanglier” de Vere, Sheriff of Berkshire, was born in 1030 AD in Ver, Manche, Normandy, France. He married Beatrice de Vere and moved to England. He had issue, including a son named Aubrey. His son Aubrey Alberic de Vere II, known by several names and titles, such as 1 st Earl of Ocofrd, Sheriff of London and Middle Sex, Lord of Hedingham Castle, and Lord Great Chamberlain of England, was born in 1062 AD in Hedingham, Essex, England. He married Adeliza FitzGilbert de Vere and had issue with her, including a son named Robert. His son Sir Robert de Vere, lord of Twywell, also known as Robert de Vere of Addington and Drayton, was born in 1124 AD. He married Matidal de Furnell and had issue with her, including a son named Henry. Henry de Vere, Lord of Drayton & Adington Manors, was born in 1155 AD and he married Malida de Furnell and had a son with her named Walter. His son Sir Walter de Drayton married Hildeburga de Vere de Bosco and had a son with her named Henry. Sir Henry de Drayton was born in 1198 AD. He married Isabella Vere and had a son with her named Baldwin. His son Sir Baldwin de Drayton, or Baudoi de Drayton, was born in 1223 AD. He married Idonea de Gimeges and had a son named Sir John de Drayton. Sir John was born in 1254 AD in Drayton. Northamptonshire, England. He married Philippe d’Ardenne and had a son with her named Simon. Sir Simon de Drayton was born in 1283 AD in the same town and he married Margaret de Lindsay. He had two issue with her: John and Katherine Green. His son John (also spelled Johan) was born in 1317 AD and he married a woman named Christiana and had a son with her named Baldwin. His son Baldwin de Drayton was a Knight born in 1330 AD. He married a woman named Alice and had a son with her named John. John was born in 1365 and he married a woman named Margaret. They had a son together named John born in 1391 AD. He married a woman named Margaret and had two issue with her: John Drayton and William Dryden. His son John was born in 1355 in Strixton, England. He married a woman named Ann and had a son with her named William Dryden. William was born in 1425 AD and married a woman named Grace, with whom he had a son named Drayton Dryden, born in 1455.

Drayton House, built by Aubrey de Vere I

Roger Drayton was born in 1316 AD in England. He married Catherine de Wolerton and had a daughter with his named Margaret. Margaret was born in 1341 and married John Worlych, with whom she had a daughter named Emma, who married James Moore.

Thomas Drayton Sr. is Atherston, Warwickshire, in England. He married Elizabeth Carpenter and had a son with her named Thomas Jr. prior to his death in the Barbados in 1702. His son Thomas Jr. was born in 1650 and he married Ann Fox. They had four children together: Thomas, Mary (Fuller), Stephen Fox, and John Sr. His son Thomas Drayton III was born in Magnolia Plantation in Charleston, South Carolina in 1700. He married Elizabeth Bull and Mary MacKenzie and had children: William Sr., Mary, Stephen, Henrietta Charlotte, John, and Thomas. His son Lt. Colonel Stephen Drayton was born in St. Andrew’s Parish, South Carolina in 1736. His son Judge William Drayton St. was born in the same locale in 1732.

John Drayton was born in Barrington, Sometset in 1656. He married Joan Rush and had three issue with her: Joan (Stower), John, and Henry. Henry was born in the same town in 1681. He married Joan Hixt and had the following children with her: John, Tristram, Joan (Doble), Henry, Alice, and Ann. His son Henry was born in 1716 in the same town and he married Mary Rouswell. They had the following children together: Edward, Betty (Taylor), Mary (Dade), Henry, Samuel, Ann (Bishop), William, John, Alice (Pittard), and William. His son Edward was born in the same town in 1743. He married Joan Rush and had five children with her: Henry, Mary, William, John, and Edward. His son Edward was born in 1780 in Somerset, England and he had numerous issue with her: Joan (Male), Nancy, Ann, Betty, William, Edmund, John, Henry, Mary (Barrett), and Samuel. His son Henry Drayton was born in the same town in 1817 and he married Jane Paul in 1840. He later went to Australia. He had the following children: Samuel Henry, Hester Ellen Broughton, William, George Edward, Mary Ellen, John Thomas, Henry Albert, and Charlotte. His son John Thomas was born in 1859 in Richmond, New South Wales, Australia, and he married Mary Ann Baker in 1882. He passed away in 1926.

built by Thomas Drayton Jr. c. 1670

John Drayton was born in Drayton, Somerset, England in 1600. He went to Virginia where he married Elizabeth Bishopp. He had one daughter with her named Judith, who married William Peebles.

Early American and New World Settlers
The book Genealogical Guide to the Early Settlers, mentions five people bearing this surname: 1) Henry Drayton of Marshield, “able to bear arms”, in 1643, and 2) John Drayton of Maine in 1642. Other early settlers in colonial America include Thomas Drayton (North Carolina 1671). Anne Drayton went to the Barbados in 1654. A one Thomas Drayton and his servants went to the Barbados in 1680. William and Priscilla Drayton went to Adelaide, Australia aboard the Diadem in 1840.

Grantees
We have 12 coats of arms for the Drew or Drewe surname depicted here. These 12 blazons are from Bernard Burke’s book The General Armory of England, Ireland, and Scotland, which was published in 1848. The bottom of this page contains the blazons, and in many instances contains some historical, geographical, and genealogical about where coat of arms was found and who bore it.

William Henry Drayton

Fenwick Hall Plantation

Written in 1921:
Exmo. John Fenwick did not record the date or manner of his immigration to America. The moving cause of his coming may have well been a summons from his brother, Robert. There has survived a land 'warrant' issued to John Fenwicke of the date March 1, 1704/5 for 500 acres of land on Sandtee River adjoing another tract which he then already owned and it was in the summer of 1706 that, having then been established in the colony long enough to have become a Captain of militia, he there had his crowded hour.

History of Fenwick Hall
(Shortest version of a long History?)

1703 - John Fenwick(e), youngest son of Robert, immigrates to Carolina from England and serves as Commissioner of the Indian Tract. Marries Elizabeth Gibbes (born 2.4.1691) , daughter of Governor (and Chief Justice) Robert Gibbes of a Devonshire family, who came early to Carolina from Barbadoes. Gibbes conveys much of his land on Johns Island to Fenwick.
1720 - Índios are Fenwick's Johns Island neighbors when he builds a house of notched logs. Possible previous Fort. This fort becomes the tall basement of the manor house.
1730/1738 - John Fenwick, from builds the rectangular main section of the manor house on top of notch logs/fort on John's Island facing the Stono River.
1747- Edward Fenwick Sr ,Esq, (Lord Ripon) inherits his father's John multiple plantations and 11,000 acres and propertys downtown Charles towne. Edward Sr first marries Martha Izard, daughter of Ralph Izard of "The Elms, Goose Creek. Martha dies and Edward Sr then remarried to Mary Drayton, daughter of Thomas Drayton of "Magnolia" on the Ashley River. Edward Sr travels through Europe, selecting thoroughbred horses for his Johns Island Stud Farm at Fenwick Hall. Edward builds the coach house and a impressive separate brick stable for his horses. A three-mile (some claim 3 1/2 mile) race track is built from what is now the intersection of Maybank and River roads to Christ Church on Maybank. Fenwick's children live in a mansion of brick surrounded by white and black servants, stables, barns, a coach house and cleared fields- a testament to the family's wealth and social standing. Legend has it that Fenwick's daughter elopes with an Irish coachman and is caught the next day with her groom. Fenwick orders his daughter to whip into motion a horse that supports her lover, who hangs from a noose.The daughter's ghost still roams the house, calling her lover's name: "Tony, Tony, Tony."A different version of the legend is told today on Johns Island. The groom was beheaded by the noose and on full moons rides through the marsh searching for his lover. Some swear to have seen the Headless Horseman of Fenwick.
1753 - Edward Fenwick Jr. "Ned" Eldest son of Edward Sr inherits and revives for ten more years (1777-1788) the John's Island Stud his father began. December 1774 Edward Jr mets and secretly marrys his german cousin, daughter of John Stuart, H.M. Superintendant of Indian Affairs for the Southern Department, over his fathers well documented opposal.
1779- As word spreads of the British invasion of Charleston, Edward's sons, Edward, Jr. and Thomas, shockingly defect to the British. Edward Jr. and Thomas join the British forces, who take Fenwick Hall. The British have to protect them from their neighbors. American Patriots accept a dinner invitation to Fenwick Hall. Edward Fenwick Jr reports on their strength to the British, who surround the Americans. The Americans lay down their arms. The British bayonet them, killing or wounding almost every man.After the war, Thomas flees to Jamaica with a large number of his father's slaves and is never heard from again. Edward Jr. is portrayed as a Patriot spy by his supporters and eventually is accepted by his neighbors. Due to Fenwick family litigation, Edward Jr must sell the Stono River plantation and departs Fenwick Hall and moves to Edisto to continue the horse breeding tradition of the British Fenwicks. Ned dies on a Friday, in the fall of 1800, at only the age of 46 of a confirmed dropsy.
The Fenwick plantation is bought at auction by the Gibbes família. John Gibbes is then thought to have added the octagonal wing to Fenwick Hall and possibly the portico and roof ballastrade around 1800, just before his death.
1782 -January 15, (Revolutionary War) Lt Colonel Laurens captures stragglers at abandoned British Camp (Fenwick Hall). Also, Laurens exchanges gunfire with a British schooner on the Stono River, presumably near Fenwick Hall & Gibbes Planatation.
1803 - John Gibbes dies. Fenwick is sold to Joseph Jenkins,
1810 (1806)
- Robert Brown buys it from Joseph and Elizabeth Jenkins on May 9, 1810. William Seabrook, Esq, handles the transaction.
1817 -? Eleven years later, planter, Benjamin Reynolds, purchases the 2,475 acre track for $20,000.00. State Senator 1818-1826. St Johns Vestry 1812-1825. Married Sarah Toomer.
Pre-1838 - Benjamin F. Scott purchases the plantation.
5.29.1838 William Snowden, Martha and Justus Angel purchased Head Quarters PLantation.
2.10.1840 - After succession of owners, Dr Daniel Jenkins Townsend , a planter on Edisto, buys Fenwick. During the Civil War, Fenwick Hall was used by both the Union and the Confederacy as a field hospital. Its usefulness to the Union probably saved it from being burned.When the Townsends return after the war, the plantation's farmland is in ruins.The land is leased for farming. Townsend was born 5.29.1807 at Bleak Hall Plantation, Edisto Island, SC and died 7.29.1885 at Rockville, Wadalaw Island, SC. Three of their children are born at Fenwick Hall (Susan Mary Townsend, Elizabeth Amarinthia Townsend, & James Swinton Townsend). Dr Jenkins lived at Fenwick during the winter and summered in the Village of Rockville,. He built a church there with the help of two of his slaves who were highly skilled apprenticed carpenters in Charleston. The small white church (Rockville Presbyterian Church) was built about 11 feet off the ground in the style of the homes of Rockville, with pillars made of tabby, a mixture of shell and lime. Orginally there was a tall steeple, but it crashed to the ground in the great hurricane of 1893. During the civil was the steeple was used as a lookout from which to observe Federal gunboats in the North Edisto River.
Pre-1867 - Daniel H. Townsend owns Fenwick.
12.20.1867 - John Henry Townsend also owns Brick House Plantation.
12.11.1876 - Thomas F.H. Peck then owns Fenwick.
02.1900 - Martha Peck.
1910 . John Limehouse leases and opens on Fenwick farmland that becomes famous for pork sausage.
10.5.1912 Henry B. Whilden now owns Fenwick and it is called " Fenwick Castle " and "very old historic house". Home is boarded up and sits deserted. The land continues to be used for farming.
Late 1920's -1930 - Victor Morawetz and his second wife, Marjorie, of New York City, buys and restores the badly deteriorated plantation house with his wife. He dies in 1938. They grow unique and rare cacti in their garden with many blooming variety. Many of these cacti grow 25' high in the garden. At that time, the plantation is calleld 'Fenwick Castle'. Morawetz was a wealthy NY City lawyer known for his astute dealings with railroads and corporations. They also owned the "Pirate House' in historic Charleston. The Charleston "Pink House", 17 Chalmers St, Constructed circa 1712 was also restored by the Morawetz in the 1930's. Driving to Fenwick from Charleston via James Island, you will drive through a alley of Magnolia trees at the golf course. Victor Morawtez planted these trees during the time he and his wife restored Fenwick. The magnolia trees are still there today and make the drive to Fenwick Hall a pleasant outing.
1931 , April-Historic American Building Survey completed on the plantation and accepted into Library of Congress (while under Morawetz ownership).
12.27. 1943 The plantation is sold to Helen (Nellie) Igoe Blanchard and is called "Fenwick Hall Plantation". The Blanchards move in! Plantation is down to 1,332 acres.
1958 -" The Legend of Fenwick Hall" overture is played by The National Symhony Orchestra in Washington, D.C. It was directed and written by the Blanchard's son, Robert Igoe Blanchard. Bob wrote the overture as his graduate thesis for his master's degree. Blanchards--can we get a copy of the music?
1972 - February 23- Plantation is accepted to the National Registry for Historic Places while under the Blanchard's ownership.
1975 - Helen Igoe and Claude Wright Blanchard Sr , a Charleston County contractor, put the 1,200-acre Fenwick estate on the market for $xxx million. Anyone have a copy of the brochure that was used to advertise the plantation? I lost my copy over the years! Desapontamento.
4.27. 1978 - No buyers for the complete plantation. The plantation is then partitioned, and at least one tract sold to private developers. Fenwick Acres Partnership purchases Tract B which includes the manor house and then leases to Fenwick Hospital.
1978 - Blanchards sell Fenwick Hall and relocate. Blanchard children inherit portions of the partioned plantation minus the main house and two Oak Allees'.
1980 - Fenwick Hall Hospital, a private alcohol and drug abuse counseling center, begins operation on the smaller 55 acre estate. Only the elite can initally afford to stay at this clinic which resembles a high end health spa. The main house is damaged due to installation of fire supression equipment and commercial kitchens. Holes are drilled recklessly into the original aged paneling. Hand painted mural in the 'great room' from 1931 is painted over. Old historic doors are spray painted with black paint and stencels to note patient's room numbers.
1985 - Fenwick Hall Plantation is annexed into the city of Charleston and zoned for development. (yikes! Imagine the taxes!)
1990 - Fenwick Hall Hospital- Rates were as high as $14,000 per month. Many well known 'patients' visit, such as former Washington D.C. Mayor, Marion Barry (& body guards). Former Dodgers pitcher, Don Newcombe was also a patient along with John Drew, NBA Star with the Atlanta Hawks. A second mayor chose the 'hall' for recovery-former Ft Lauderdale mayor Charles Lowery recovered here.
The Washington Post Newspaper calls Fenwick a "pricey, luxurious, exclusive center". The Chronicle Telegram newspaper (Elyria,Ohio) 7.5.1981 article states "Alcoholism center caters to execs at top" with its heated swimming pool, exercise room, whirlpool, sauna and locker area. A tennis & basketball court is a stone's throw away. The staff included three physicians, a dozen nurses, consultants, counselors, social workers and recreational therapist. The clientele has included some nationally known sports, entertainment and businesss figures whose identities the hospital guards unless they decide to go public". Programs included "Art Therapy". Multiple free standing buildings for the hospital are built on the estate called a 'colonial farm campus' by the architect.
1995 - Fenwick Hospital closes. Charter medical Corp closes the 49-bed rehabiliatation center. Plantation sits abandoned
except for the security guard and ghost for almost five years. Main house suffers from neglect including water damage.
2000 - Newest Owners/Caretakers! Even though the property is advertised for sale world wide by Colliers Kennans Real Estate, a local couple, xxx and xxx buy the Fenwick and the 55-acre tract around it, which they plan to restore and reside in. There was interest from London and the Cathoic Church for a time considered Fenwick Hall as a residence for retired priests. (Aiken County/South Carolina News 11/11/2000). Fenwick Hall research and restoration begins and the plantation comes back to life!
And with the plantations new life, it is now called, lovingly, "Fenico".
2001 -Developers propose & construct several hundred housing units on the original plantation property overlooking the main house & drive. Legal battles ensue as the developers do not follow legal agreements and impact what is left of the plantation significantly. Every other street on the island is named after something to do with fenwick--overkill. Charleston BY-PASS may be constructed and pass right thru the Fenwick Hall platation. Can it get any worse for Fenwick? Yep, global warming with a rise in the tides. Many surrounding subdivisions on the former plantation grounds go 'belly up' before completion.

TODAY:
Restoration on the property continues including the various buildings, landscaping and saving the huge old oaks.
o City of Charleston can't wait to destroy one of the two Fenwick Hall Plantation's Oak Allees! The city plans to cut a roadway (new Penny's Creek Road) by clearing the OaK Allee that flanks the Twelve Oaks Condos .

January 3, 2018. Rare snowfall blankets Fenwick for days.

Fontes
: Cultural Resources Study of Fenwick Tract D, Ralph Bailey, Brockington and Associates Post and Courier articles Aiken County/South Carolina News Chronicle Telegram 7.5.1981 Elyria, Ohio Jonathan Poston, director of preservation programs, Historic Charleston Foundation The History of Beaufort County, Lawrence S. Rowland City of Charleston Richard Kerr, John's Island Stud, Helena Igoe Blanchard McKay-Vivona, Martha Aldridge, Harry Campbell Vaiden III.

1730 he builds major portion of Fenwick Hall.

John was of noble British origin and the Fenwick family was known as a very old family and of immense belongings. John married Elizabeth Gibbes b 4 Feb, 1691, daughter of Governor Robert Gibbes of S.Carolina.

1721 Colonel John Fenwicke was appointed an Associate Justice.
1730 he was appointed a member of His Majesty's Council in S.Carolina.
June 1740 Colonel Fenwick was promoted to rank of Major-General and of the appointment of Colonel Charles Pickney to the command of his regiment.

John Fenwick's eldest son inherits Fenwick Place:
Honorable Edward Culcheth Fenwick, Sr, Esq.,
(The "Lord Ripon") and 2nd wife, Mary Drayton Fenwick.
Edward b 1720-1775
Inherits the plantation.
(d) July 7, 1775

Images of Hon. Edward Fenwick Sr and Mary Drayton Fenwick are copies
of miniature paintings behind glass. These images were graciously
provided by their descendant,
Mr Andrew Jones.
I thank Mr Jones for sharing these important historical paintings.

Edward Fenwick Sr. was the founder of the John's Island Stud.
He built the impressive Coach House and matching Stable and private race track. He is one of the few directly responsible for the bloodline that we know as the American Thoroughbred Horse.

Edward Sr Wives:
1. Martha Izard , daughter of Hon. Ralph Izard. Edward Sr and Martha had one daughter, Elizabeth Fenwick.
2. Mary Drayton b 21 Dec 1734, (yes, of Drayton Hall) married Edward Sr on Feb 27, 1753, who was the daughter of Thomas Drayton & Elizabeth Bull. Mary marries John DeBrahm after Edward Sr's death.
Mary and Edward Sr had a whopping 15 children who are listed below.

1. Edward Fenwick Jr, b. 12 Dec 1753. (Spy and Traitor-assisted Capt John Stuarts wife and daughter on Feb 3, 1776). Married Christiana (b 1752) Stuart.
2. John Fenwick, b 12 Aug 1755
3. Sarah Fenwick, b 3 Dec 1756 (married Feb 1777, Macartan Campbell)
4. Mary Fenwick, b 7 Jan 1757 (married Nov 1779, Walter Izard, son of Ralph Izard)
5. Colonel Thomas Fenwick (of British Militia), b 19 Dec 1758 (Spy and Traitor-guided British in their attack on Capt Matthews and Barnwell on John's Island in 1779)
6. Martha Fenwick, b 15 Jan 1760 (married Oct 15,1778, Thomas Gadsden, Captain in 1st Regiment SC Continentals)
7. Robert Fenwick, b 16 Mar 1761
8. Charlotte Elizabeth Fenwick, b 4 Nov 1762
9. Selina Fenwick, b 18 Apr 1762 (unmarried as of 1805)
10. Robert William Fenwick, b 16 May 1765 (died before 1785?)
11. Charlotte Fenwick, b 21 July 1766 (married 1st: Willaim Leigh Pierce, Captain on staff of Gen.Greene. 2nd husband was Ebenezer Jackson)
12. Matilda Fenwick, b 12 Dec 1767 (possibly married Robert Giles-no children)
13. Harriette Fenwick, b Mar 1769 (married Josiah Tattnall, Jr in 1786, Governor).
14. George Fenwick, b 5 Jan 1771 (died before 1785?)
15. Brevet Brig. General John Roger Fenwick, b 13 Jan 1773 (never married/no children). Died Mar 1842.

(Majority of the children obtained an proper education in England.)


Honorable Edward Culcheth Fenwick, Sr, Esq Dies.
The "Lord Ripon" dies July 7, 1775
1720-1775
<--- Obituary

Click on the obit left to enlarge.

Edward Fenwick, Jr,
Becomes a 'man without a country' due to his deeds.
Eldest son of Edward Fenwick, Sr.
1753-1800

Edward Jr.. attempted to continue his father's horse breeding and like his father, he did import high blood horses.
Edward Jr was a British 'Loyalist' & 'Tory' and betrayed both Americans and Britian and along with his traitor brother, Thomas Fenwick. Both were weak in character.

Col. Edward Fenwick , from Charleston County.

Initally a captain, Fenwick as lieutenant colonel commanded a unit of loyalist dragoos from out Charleston in
early 1781. In April, he managed to route Harden at nearby Fort Balfour. He and a number of his men were
exchanged, and in the latter part of July reappeared in the field. Thereafter Fenwick and his troops continued
to act as a patrol outside Charleston. Joseph Johnson says he was twice a traitor, first to Americans, later to British, and supplied Greene with information, and for which, like Andrew Williamson, his property was later spared confiscation by the 'rebels'. In the end, Edward Fenwick Jr was the classic example of a 'man without a country' .
had all his property confiscated by the "Confiscation Act of 1782".Three years later. by a special "Act of Assembly" (just for him!) on March 24, 1785, Edward Jr's property was restored to him but he was required to leave the state within a year.
He was also subject to the internal family litigiation from his siblings that led him to attempt to sell the Fenwick Plantation, which in the end, family relative and neighbor, John Gibbes purchases.


<---Obituary
September 13, 1800.
Died at 46 years.

Charlotte Fenwick
b July 21, 1766
Sister to John Roger and Edward Jr and 12 others.

Charlotte first married William Leigh Pierce. Pierce was from Virginia and they settled in Georgia. Soon after the Revoluntion, in 1787, he sat as a delegate from the state to the Convention that framed the Constitution of the United States.

Charlotte Fenwick's 2nd husband was Ebenezer Jackson of Massachusetts. He was commissioned 2nd Lieutenant of 3rd Continental Artillery on June 27, 1781 where he served until Nov 3, 1783. Mrs Charlotte Jackson's daughter, Harriet Jackson, became in 1821 the wife of Commodore Tattnall, her first cousin.

Who was Charlotte Fenwick? Here are exerpts of a letter written to her soon-to-be husband from a friend, describing her on July 10, 1783:

Dear Major Pierce,
Last evening for the first time in my life I saw Miss Charlotte Fenwick. She sang "Return Enraptured Hours" most divinely. She is rather pretty than handsome. She is lively, facitious and I think abonimably clever. The whole town says you are engaged to her-it is taken for granted-and now you are ranked on the list of a Northern Gentleman marrying a Southern Lady.

BRIGADIER GENERAL JOHN ROGER FENWICK
1773-1842

The last Fenwick male.
John Roger Fenwick's photo is only the second photograph of
a Fenwick I have been able to locate. John Roger was the "last' of the male line of Fenwick Hall Fenwicks had no children. Born at Fenwick Hall, John Roger Fenwick was the youngest son of Edward Sr and had the good fortune to be born too late to become broiled in the political battles of his older siblings (Edward Jr & Thomas). 1799 John Roger Fenwick was commissioned a Second Lieutenant in the United States Marine Corps and he was regulary promoted. 1809 he became Captain. In December of 1811, John Roger resigned from the Marines in order to transfer to the Army.
He was severly wounded and made prisoner at the Battle of Queenstown Heights, 13th October 1812 in the War of 1812.
March 1813 he was brevetted Colonel for "gallant conduct" on the Nigara frontier, and was on the same date appointed Adjutant General of the Army, with the rank of Colonel. John Roger Fenwick was disbanded with the rank of Colonel in June 1815, but retained in the Army as Lieutenant Colonel of Light Artillery. He was commissioned Colonel of the 4th artillery in May 1822.

The 18th of March, 1823 he became 'Brigadier General, U.S.A. and in that rank, ended an honourable professional career. He was well like by both President Madison and M.Van Buren. John ended his career as Counsel for the USA to France and spent his remaining years there in Paris. He had no wife, no children.

On the death of General John Roger Fenwick in 1842, the 'tail male' of the Carolina Fenwicks was broken. Their tradition has since been maintained only by descendants of the General Fenwick's sisters.

John Gibbes
Fenwick's were neighbors & cousins with the Gibbes.
John Gibbes purchased Fenwick Hall Plantation from Edward Fenwick Jr as a forced sale due to 'internal' Fenwick Family Litigation. (Edward's brothers and sisters wanted their part of inheritance from Edward Fenwick Sr's estate.)

Some authorities ruminate that Edward Fenwick Sr added the octagonal wing on the manor house for his second bride at the same time he built the coach house and stables. Others claim that John Gibbes added the wing & roof-top balustrade upon his purchase of the property.

Joseph & Elizabeth Jenkins
?
purchases plantation from John Gibbes.

Robert Brown
Sells !
1810, October 17
Charleston City Gazette Newspaper
The subscriber offers for sale his Plantation, situation on John's Island, and in sight of Charleston, from which by water, it is a distant about six miles and by land, over the Ashley River Bridge, probably, not more than three or four. It possesses a very extensive front on Stono River, on which it has several good landings. It has an abundance of oak, and pine wood on the margin of the river, which, from its local situation, may be easily transported to market. It contains within its own bounds an excellent range of stock, an article of considerable profit and ready sale. This track contains by old survey 2,000 acres, and consist of cotton, corn and rice, pine and high black-rush land. The cotton and rice lands are of excellent quality the rush bowls may be easily embanked, and converted into the first quality cotton land, the bottom being blue clay.

There are on the premises an exceeding good Dwelling House, containing thirteen upright Rooms, a large kitchen and stable, all built of bricks a machine house, cotton house, & c. o grounds around the building elegantly laid out but a further description is deemed superfluous, as any person desirous of becomming a purchases will, of course, view the premises.

The terms and other particulars will be made known by applying, directly on the premises, to the subscriber, or through the medium of Messrs. Rhodes & Otis Factors, Charleston
Robert Brown, john's island, October 27

Dr Daniel Jenkins Townsend
James Swinton Townsend (b9.16.1848, d12.16.1887), son of Fenwick Hall owner (1840) , Dr Daniel Jenkins Townsend, was born at Fenwick Hall on September 16, 1848. He married Mary Amarinthea Jenkins Townsend in 1871 and had ten (10) children. Daniel Townsend left his son much of the Rockland Plantation which they had farmed together.

Also born at Fenwick was two of James Swinton's younger sisters:
b1845 d1863 Susan Mary Townsend
b1847 d1876 Elizabeth Amarinthia Townsend

Photo courtesy of Jean Townsend.

Today Limehouse descendants continue to sell some of the finest local produce grown and sold in the Lowcountry.

Former owner and restorer of Fenwick, Mr Victor Morawetz , New York Attorney, was also the architect of one of the most admired railroad turnarounds in history .

Victor and his (2nd) wife Margorie Nott Morawetz , (northern cultural philantropist) restored Fenwick from ruins in the 1930's. He died in 1938. In addition to preserving and restoring several noteable properties in Charleston, including the Haig House at 30 Meeting Street and the Smythe House at 14

16 Lejare St and the Pink House. In the early part of the 19th century, the Pink House deteriorated and was not really repaired until the 1930's when the Morawetz took an interest. It is during its restoration that the small wing on the southeast corner was added, as space in which caterers could work, since the Morawetz used the building strictly as a place to entertain. This wing now houses the teal print room and office space. The Morawetz's hired Architects Albert Simons & his partner Samuel Lapham Jr for the restoration and additions to Fenwick Hall.

Margorie was active in Charleston's restoration and believed it was to Charleston's advantage to erase visible traces of its Victorian past by 'bringing out its (older) 18th century beauty, as much of which is hidden and to 'scrape' off gingerbread ornaments, etc.

Even though considered New Yorkers (part of the swarm of Yankees), the Morawtez's were considered for membership in the St. Cecilia Society, the hallmark of "belonging' in the elite white Charleston society.

One note of interest, during 1927, a private SPS Performance (Society for the Preservation of Negro Spirituals) was held at Fenwick HAll which internationally renowed composer and music critic Walter Damrosch attended. The SPS goal was to protect and preserve African American Spirituals that were sung during the slavery days in the lowcountry. Usually there was a group of 20 or so singers. During January 1930, the SPS sang at the Thursday Evening Club in N.York in front of a "proper New York audience" at the request of the Morawetz. Marjorie described the club's membership as "conservative, cultivated and representative-perhaps a little more of the past than the present". It was said an evening of exchange between like-minded elite individuals was sure to result. (Get the drift?)

Morawetz's benefices to Charleston include the land on which the municipal golf course was built and the bordering avenue of Magnolias along the Maybank Highway. One million dollars given to the South Carolina Medical Society, a wing for the Roper Hospital for the treatment of black patients with contageous diseases, contributions to the Material Welfare Clinic, and much of SeaBrook Island to the Episcopal Church with the understanding that its nature beauty be maintained. Their latter wishes were not honored as the Church sold off much of Seabrook for money.

The Morawetz's also donated funds to the Gibbes Museum in Charleston that was used for museum purchases. They also gave the museum 18th century miniature paintings.

At the time of his death in Charleston, Victor and Marjorie maintained a residence in N.York at 39 East SeventyNinth Street.

Mrs Marjorie Knott Morawetz tried to help the new owner save "Brick House Plantation", Edisto, in the 1930's, but the cost to restore the house was too great, and it was torn down in the 1950's. Mrs Victor Morawetz had an iron-rail fence installed a around the Stanyarne family cemetery to protect it. The graveyard is all that is left of the Brick House Plantation that once grew sea-island, long-staple cotton.

1947-1956 Marge was a Trustee with the "Historic Charleston Foundation" and since 1956 Marjorie has been an "Honorary Trustee".


Museu J. Paul Getty

This image is available for download, without charge, under the Getty's Open Content Program.

Slaves of General Thomas F. Drayton

Henry P. Moore (American, 1835 - 1911) 13 × 20.8 cm (5 1/8 × 8 3/16 in.) 84.XM.483.25

Open Content images tend to be large in file-size. To avoid potential data charges from your carrier, we recommend making sure your device is connected to a Wi-Fi network before downloading.

Not currently on view

Object Details

Título:

Slaves of General Thomas F. Drayton

Artist/Maker:
Culture:
Lugar:

Hilton Head, South Carolina, United States (Place Created)

Medium:
Object Number:
Dimensões:

13 × 20.8 cm (5 1/8 × 8 3/16 in.)

Mark(s):

(Recto, mount): yellow paper label imprinted in black ink, affixed at lower right corner: "Slaves of Rebel Gen. T.F. Drayton, / Hilton Head, S.C. / Photographed and For Sale by / H.P. Moore, Concord, N.H."

Inscription(s):

(Verso, mount) inscribed in pencil, at lower right corner: "H.P. Moore / C.W. [space] 75"

Department:
Classification:
Object Type:
Object Description

This photograph, depicting a large group of slaves, was taken by Henry P. Moore at Hilton Head, South Carolina on the seven-hundred-acre Fish Haul Plantation belonging to Thomas Fenwick Drayton. The plantation was largely dedicated to producing cotton, and fifty-two slaves worked and lived there. Moore's photographs from this period document slaves' living quarters and include images of workers ginning and sorting cotton. This image depicts slaves who were in the process of being freed by the federal government.

Proveniência
Proveniência

Samuel Wagstaff, Jr., American, 1921 - 1987, sold to the J. Paul Getty Museum, 1984.

Exposições
Exposições
Grave Testimony: Photographs of the Civil War (January 14 to March 29, 1992)
Hidden Witness: African Americans in Early Photography (February 28 to June 18, 1995)
In Focus: The Worker (November 3, 2009 to March 21, 2010)
The Thrill of the Chase: The Wagstaff Collection of Photographs at the J. Paul Getty Museum (March 15, 2016 to May 7, 2017)
  • The J. Paul Getty Museum at the Getty Center (Los Angeles), March 15 to July 31, 2016
  • Wadsworth Atheneum (Hartford), September 10 to December 11, 2016
  • Portland Museum of Art (Portland), February 13 to May 7, 2017
Bibliografia
Bibliografia

Martineau, Paul. The Thrill of the Chase: the Wagstaff collection of photographs at the J. Paul Getty Museum. (Los Angeles: J. Paul Getty Museum, 2016), p. 92, pl. 41

Esta informação é publicada a partir da base de dados da coleção do Museu. Atualizações e adições decorrentes de atividades de pesquisa e imagem estão em andamento, com novos conteúdos adicionados a cada semana. Ajude-nos a melhorar nossos registros compartilhando suas correções ou sugestões.

Please be advised that this database may include images and original language considered derogatory, offensive or graphic, and may not be suitable for all viewers. The images, titles, and inscriptions are products of their time and the creator’s perspective and are presented here as documentation, not a reflection of Getty’s values. Language and societal norms shift, and cataloging of a collection is a continuous work in progress. We encourage your input to enhance our understanding of our collection.

Every effort has been made to accurately determine the rights status of works and their images. Please contact Museum Rights and Reproductions if you have further information on the rights status of a work contrary or in addition to the information in our records.

/> O texto desta página está licenciado sob uma Licença Internacional Creative Commons Atribuição 4.0, a menos que especificado de outra forma. Imagens e outras mídias são excluídas.

The content on this page is available according to the International Image Interoperability Framework (IIIF) specifications. You may view this object in Mirador – a IIIF-compatible viewer – by clicking on the IIIF icon below the main image, or by dragging the icon into an open IIIF viewer window.


Assista o vídeo: James H Thomas AKA Jh Thomas 1920-1929 (Janeiro 2022).